Restore is only available in Momento 3.2 or later.
How do I restore my Momento data?
In Momento, go to Settings > Data and scroll to the 'Restore' section.
IMPORTANT: Restoring your Momento data from a backup will overwrite all current Momento data. Momento is not capable of merging two databases.
Restoring from iCloud Backups
To view your iCloud backups you must ensure that you have 'iCloud' enabled under the 'Backup' section of 'Settings' > 'Data' > 'Backup & Restore' settings screen.
Tap on the backup you wish to restore from. Depending on whether the iCloud backup files were created on this device, Momento may have to download the required files. This may take some time and will dependent on your internet connection.
Backup files created before v3.1.2
iCloud Backups created with Momento 3.1.2 or earlier cannot be used to restore data directly from iCloud for technical reasons. You will need to copy these files to your computer and carry out the restore via File Sharing. For more info see our FAQ article.
Incomplete backup files
If some of the backup files are inaccessible by Momento then it's likely that they are still being uploaded to iCloud by another device. If this is the case you will have to wait for the files to complete uploading and try again later. iCloud uploading is handled by iOS and progress isn't displayed in Momento.
Restoring from Local Backups
To view your local backups you must ensure that you have the 'iCloud' setting disabled under the 'Backup' section of 'Settings' > 'Data' > 'Backup & Restore' settings screen.
If a local backup file exists, simply tap the backup file to begin the restore process.
Copying a backup file to your device using File Sharing (macOS 10.15+):
- Open a Finder window.
- Connect your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to your computer with a USB cable.
- Select your device in the Finder. Find out what to do if your computer isn't recognising your device.
- Click the Files tab.
- Click the triangle next to 'Momento'.
- Select the 'Backup' folder from your computer that contains the Momento backup files. This folder must be exactly as it was when you originally copied it from the device to your computer. If
- Drag the folder to the 'Momento' icon in the 'Files' tab. macOS unfortunately does not display progress for the copying process on macOS 12 and lower. Please monitor the size of the resulting 'Backups' folder on your computer using macOS's 'Get Info' function and wait until the file size stops increasing and matches the file size presented in the 'Files' tab of your iPhone.
Copying a backup file to your device using iTunes File Sharing (older version of macOS and PC):
- Open iTunes on your Mac or PC.
- Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to your computer using the USB cable that came with your device.
- Click your device in iTunes.
- In the left sidebar, click File Sharing.
- Select 'Momento' from the list of Apps.
- Drag and drop the 'Backups' folder (which contains the 'Attachments', 'Data' and if recent backups have been created it will also include a 'Registry' folder) from your computer to the Documents list.
Or, click 'Add' at the bottom of the Documents list, then select the required folder and click Choose. The 'Backups' folder must be the folder which is copied, not just its contents.
⚠️ Important note: Backup files are not encrypted or considered secure. We strongly recommend removing them from your iPhone/iPad after you have completed the restore.
Deleting backup files from your device using iTunes File Sharing:
- Select the files you want to delete in the Documents list (as pictured above) and press the Delete key on your keyboard.
- Click Delete when iTunes asks you to confirm.
How do I transfer my data to a new device?
To transfer data to a new device we recommend using a local backup. This will be much quicker than restoring from an iCloud backup if you have a lot of data or a slow internet connection.
To do this you will need to backup your data on your old device and carry out the steps in the Backup FAQ to copy the the backup file to your computer. Once complete you will then need to copy the files to your new device by following the restore instructions above.